Wednesday 20 August 2014

Coconut Jollof Rice

Jollof rice is an African dish. An African party without Jollof rice is not a party. Maybe Supermalt and small chops too but Jollof rice is crucial.

When I think of Jollof rice, I remember growing up on Saturday mornings and the smell of my mum’s cooking wakes me up. There is a particular smell that not only wakes me up but also makes me offer my assistance as it means I will get the taster. A plate of fresh hot Jollof rice with fried meat....priceless....until she sends me back to brush my teeth.

Anyway, as you know I always like to experiment which is why we have Coconut Jollof rice. Basically it is Jollof rice infused with coconut.
Ingredients
1 can of chopped tomato plum or 5 medium size tomatoes
1 Shallot or onion
1 red bell pepper
2 scotch bonnet
4 cups rice
1 can of coconut milk
2 cooking spoon of virgin oil
250g prawns (optional)
A handful of bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
4 knorr or maggi cubes
Salt to taste
Blend the tomatoes, shallot, bell pepper and scotch bonnet till smooth.
Heat the oil on medium heat the blended paste, coconut milk, seasoning cubes, thyme and salt to taste.

In a bowl, wash the rice till the water is clear when washing.
Tip: Add salt to bring out all the starch quickly.



When the water is clear, add the rice and a bit of water to the boiling sauce.
Leave on medium heat. The sauce will be drying out so stir every few minutes. 

When the sauce has dried out and the rice is moist, reduce the heat to low, add the prawns and leave to cook till the rice is soft.




Serve with chicken, fish, gizzard, plantain, salad. The list is endless...









I love me some J Rice.
Enjoy

xxxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home